Thermal Fluid Filtration
Filtration will extend the service life of the fluid and also reduce system maintenance. These benefits increase as system operating temperature increases.
- Block valves should be positive shutoff (ball valves or equal) to allow for filter cleaning without shutting system down.
- A 10 micron filter is recommended. Filter elements can be either sintered metal strainer or high temperature bag filter (Nomex or equal).
- Filter housing, piping and valves should be insulated according to guidelines for Thermal Fluids.
- Side Stream configuration is recommended for systems with centrifugal pumps.
- Optimal flowrate through the filter is 10% of full system flow. Minimum recommended flowrate is 3%.
- In line filters should be used only with positive displacement pumps (gear). Never install an inline filter on a system that uses centrifugal pumps.
- A second filter in parallel (duplex) can be installed in place of the manual bypass for critical applications such as high
temperature electric systems.